Sunday 18 November 2007

More lergy, more fire, more chi

You know how some people say they wouldn't mind being ill (and even wish themselves the flu, which is nuts), so that they don't have to go to work? I don't do that.

For starters, when I am ill and at home, no one pays me, so it's almost as though I have taken time off specifically to watch the horrors of daytime television and to sit/lie feeling rough while people still call me for work reasons, seeing as I am a freelance and they know not of my lergy.

Hardly pleasurable. I mean, have you seen Deal or no Deal? I have watched it in the past but the episode I saw was just awful – and I think, horrifyingly, that Noel called the contestants pilgrims. Maybe that was my mind and scratchy ears playing tricks – let's hope so...

So, yes, boringly, I have been off work again for part of this week, with yet another virus. My throat was a gargle of Gillette, creeping up to my ear canals like snakes strapped to a pair of stilettos. I forced my way through two kung fu classes (while dosed up), thinking it would maybe be sweated out. Didn't work. I was high on endorphins but not cured. I am definitely physically addicted to kung fu now and feel restless and 'itchy' when I don't do my requisite sessions. I love it.

I'm sure the combination of a man sneezing into his newspaper, held at the right angle to capture germs and deflect them towards me, while I was on the train a week or so ago, was enough to cause this latest lergy attack. That, the icy cold weather of the last few days and the general fatigue of dealing with certain big things that I alluded to in my last post would have been enough for anyone.

In the course of my frenzied attempt to get better, I re-discovered active manuka honey, which is great. You dissolve a spoonful in hot (not boiling) water and drink it. I had a few mugs of this and swear it helped me. So much so, that I went to a kung fu class with the Master and learned some very interesting techniques, whereby you use your body's natural energy to have an effect on things external to the bounds of your skin. The technique was based on the ancient origins of t'ai chi, and the sense of calmness, while at the same time feeling energised – as though there was a fire from my belly to my throat – was amazing.

I slept like a log last night and feel almost ready to go out and see if I can find something new to wear for several upcoming Christmas parties.

----------------
Listening to the absolutely amazing and utterly fabulous: Editors - Escape The Nest

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, not you too? It took me a month but I am finally over the flu bug I caught from my flat mate. I ended up being off work for an entire week, something I have NEVER EVER done before. Each evening my deputy would call me to see/hear how I was doing and would ban me from coming in the next day. I truly hope you don't have this same bug. I put it down to I'm being exposed to all new germs here in the UK. Different species from what my immune system is used to fighting from Canada.

    Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Snakes strapped to a pair of stilettos"!Lol,what an innovative term! :)

    The actions you taking to drive this unwanted invader from your system will surely make you perfectly fit and fine in no time!Am glad you slept like a log for a change.Take care.God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, I'm sorry to hear that you have been so unwell (but glad that you are now better!)

    I do hope it isn't the same thing... I just fell asleep watching TV, which I only usually do when poorly, and woke up to feeling rather cold and iffy. However, it could just be due to the coldness in the air, so I've whacked up the heating. S is ill and is in bed at the moment. I fear I have given him the bug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sameera :) I hope so – I'd like to be fighting fit soon. Being unwell is so tedious!! I'm cooking some nice fish now, so that should help with the balanced diet, followed by Marks and Spencer clotted cream rice pudding (served warm)...

    Mmmmmm!

    Hope you are well my dear.

    ReplyDelete